Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Scratch Building Model Aircraft

Brian Clarey

Hi WAM members,

I intend to start a discussion on Scratch-building one-of-a-kind balsa models and will do an introductory talk and discussion at the next Club Day.

I have a design in mind that uses a Radian wing, to achieve results faster and gaurantee you will have a model that flys as well as other members' models and, using specified motor/battery/prop combination, won't have an advantage over others.

This model would be well suited to a low-key club competition. A Perpetual Trophy using an aggregate score, so that any point score goes towards the trophy.

We'll talk more in coming weeks.

--

October 17, 2014 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Byrne

Excellent.

October 17, 2014 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

I've seen what Brian is wanting to have us build. Apart from buying a Radian wing, it will cost you about 3 sheets of balsa. The power set may not need to be anything much bigger than what's on an Assassin or pepped-up Bixler, so it won't break the bank. 

I vote no, as the nose won't be big enough to fit a decent fuel tank into it...:P

What do people think?

--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

But that's where it ends!! THINGS THAT FLY NEED REAL ENGINES!!!   :D

October 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brian Clarey

Hi WAM members,interested in scratch building. Guy`s, I need some feed back as to where you wish to go with this  and what type of aircraft you want to construct.-- A lot of new chums to aircraft construction are quite daunted by wing building.

That is why I suggested a  home built fuselage and a bought in wing. That should get you into the air quickly.  T

This allows the home constructor to exersize his own ideas with some tutoring. More on this later.

I call this stage 1---This can get members airborne and learn about trimming the model to get the best performance from it---via tutorials.

Stage 2--- Could be fitting a new wing, with flaps and ailerons!   This configuration is on towards open class gliding, where the best can be had by using the capabability of your computor  transmitter, perhaps again by tutorial.

Stage 3--- Could be  a built up wing of your own design, where you select rib profles etc from available data.

Stage4--- The sky is the limit !! By keeping abreast of new technology, usually from the UK and Europe. Incidently, these machines are world class and some are capable of speeds over 260 Ks., in the right hands.

So pls give me a clew of want you want to talk about so that I come prepared.

Cheers for now  Brian.

October 23, 2014 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brian Clarey

Hi  again,

Forgot to mention that somebody  should have quiet word with Marcel.

Inform him that electric gliders don`t require fuel tanks.---Poor chap, he should get out more !!

Brian

--

October 23, 2014 at 2:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Hi Brian, I agree with the idea of building a fuselage first & either buying a pre-moulded wing to suit, so when do we start on the fuselage. We need to know what quantity of material we need to purchase and what size of glider are we talking about?? I am quite eager to learn basic construction techniques and maybe end up with a competitive glider.                                  Cheers Gbar ;) 

October 23, 2014 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Byrne

Hi Brian, I have a review on a plane built from simple plans, called the Groover 46,  very simple, I will show you on the weekend, the wing layup has only two spar shapes. it will suit EP or GP power setups...talk soon..

--

October 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brian Clarey

Thanks for the reply guy`s.

I am suggesting that 2mtr wingspan. The standard Radian wing and the Radian Pro wing for example. Both are available as a spare part at moderate cost.

As Marcel has indicated 3 x1200 sheetsof balsa and a handfull  of different strip material, for what I have in mind.. This balsa should be medium hard and straight  grained---NOT fence palings!!

I will  have a handout for the next meeting of typical model dimensions and a  discussion of basic design and constructional  methods.  We can discuss whether a one design could be implemented and may be some templates made available.

As to when, as soon as the members agree on a design.

I also propose low key club competition for this motor  glider, where  a  CD  (Contest  Director) of  the Day , organises his own  rules-- every one gets a go!!

Brian

--

October 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Byrne

Sorry Brian, my oversit about the radian wing, I will have a look, may have a couple here at home but no spar's though..

--

October 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

visioninaction

HI Brian

I think it is an excellent idea. I would love to be involved but time is the issue for me. I will attend as many of the sessions as time permits. 

Great initiative!!

Cheers

Kelvin

--

October 24, 2014 at 2:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick
you building people hobbyking australia just got this in http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__65557__Cessna_182_Laser_Cut_Kit_960mm_Span_Kit_AU_Warehouse_.html
--
Don't forget to have fun :D
October 24, 2014 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

The Cessna would go together well and probably quickly, but it's too small to be a good flyer given it's wing design. The Hub is building these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55829__Cloud_Dancer_Trainer_Balsa_Laser_Cut_Airplane_Kit_1300mm_KIT_AU_Warehouse_.html

October 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brian Clarey

Hi guy`s, What a fantastic site for slope soaring at carrs  lookout --- World class !! Great comrardery . The temperature was pleasant and the wind acceptable for the Radians , which were the flavour of the day.

Greg had a mishap with his ASK when a rudder control horn broke in flight, the damage was a broken wing tip.  The model flew beautifully,but was very fast,

Further to our proposed scratch building programme--- there is a fair degree of differing opinion among the members . At the end of the day , all arguements considered --- I still think that my origional  proposal is workable for the majority of members.  essentially for those that are time poor.

The fuselage represents only a few hours to complete.  And I can get you started right now.First of all the KISS principle need only apply... keep it  simple & stupid.

(a)  Make a cardboard template from Radian tail feathers.

(b) measure and note a Radian fuselage dimensions.le; lenght , distance between wing and tailplane (tail moment)-- measure the lenght of the nose  (nose moment) adding  about 50 mm, this is for balancing later ( Centre of gravity)

(c) The fuselage is of box section and is sized to house your radio gear and battery. nb 2200mah

(d) Cut the sides from say 3mm medium hard balsa or light plywood to a profile that is pleasing to the eye. The upper edge of the sides remains straight the tail plane and wing are mounted here, the wing rigging angle is adjusted later.

(e)  There are two formers of plywood to suit your fuse, height x width decided on Make both formers the same width. Cut out a motor mount to suit  also of ply. Double thickness where required

((f)  On the sides , internally, a 6mm stringer is glued top and bottom. Notch the formers on each corner to accept the stringers. Spreaders of 6mm square  are glued along various places behind the wing at suitable distances apart  to produce a mild curve along the fuse.

Ok that`s enough for now, any drama`s, email me

Cheers Brian

--

October 27, 2014 at 12:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel
Is it possible to make some plans for the sides and top and bottom? Even some dimensions that state where to cut to and from. We can then scan them and post them here.
--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

But that's where it ends!! THINGS THAT FLY NEED REAL ENGINES!!!   :D

October 27, 2014 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brian Clarey

Hi Marcel,  I`ve avoided suggesting that because the members might not  want to do my design. The above is only a guide to proportions and methods. If the members like  the idea of templates / plan then ok . But  thatthelocks them into a one design, which was initially  proposed. 

This initial tutorial is to hopefully inspire some discussion/feedback to get it off the ground . I`m open to suggestions!!

--

October 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Just wondering if the standard Radian could take part in these competitions ?     :/

October 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Not really Ken, the whole idea is to produce a glider equal to the others, such as motor,ESC & servos, weight is the issue. If we can construct a glider that can climb & soar at the same rate & time it would be up to the ability of the pilot to guide it thru the course & on target. You could strip the motor & gear out of the Radian & transfer them over to the project fuselage maybe?? :)

October 28, 2014 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

I think if we are all (or most off us) going to have a go at this the club should order everything in (foam wings, and balsa) and distribute to who wants them. us to pay of course. that way we would all have same wings, same balsa and ply, and could all copy from each other.

--

October 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

thats the idea peter T, so how many want to do this project?? no point in ordering 10 wings & $100 worth of balsa when 3 people put their hand up, so come on guys PUT your hand up lets make this a club tningy.

October 28, 2014 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick
No thanks for me Mr GBar
--
Don't forget to have fun :D
October 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, Jun 28 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Sunday, Jul 2 at 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Wednesday, Jul 5 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Monday, Jul 10 at 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM