Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New Airfield

GBAR

Well the dozer has nearly finnished pushing & racking the timber AND the new airfield is HUGE, I mean fricking HUGE, once it is burnt & racked again it will be time for the members to get together and decide where to put the runway. So put your thinking caps on.!!

August 17, 2015 at 3:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Check out the Blank Canvas' for you to start designing our field layout in the Documents & Forms section of the website labeled New Field (no scale) and New Field (with scale).

August 17, 2015 at 8:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

August 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Red ..our original shed position..... Yellow ..our current airstrip..... Green (roughly ) our new field.   :)

August 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

August 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin
Administrator

Hopefully all the preparations are in place for the burn on Sunday around 4pm. EVERYTHING depends on the weather. If there is any doubt I will not be lighting it. Brian and Dawn and Nick will cater for morning and afternoon tea and lunch and have something available for the fire-crew if needed. Please see calender notes for more details.

August 19, 2015 at 12:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

--
Don't forget to have fun :D
August 19, 2015 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

I prefer small tactical nukes but a match is a good starting point!!! :lol: 

August 19, 2015 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Can do Monday,Tuesday ,Thursday mornings on the fire watch       :)

August 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Byrne

Sorry Guys, not able to help with burn off, went out and had a look when I was on that side of town, you said it was BIG, but I did not know it was THAT BIG. It is MEGA. I'm gona need a biga mowa.

--

August 21, 2015 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

It was great to see it all burn guys. The strip does look really long now....

Thanks Martin and the guys from Wildash Brigade.

August 23, 2015 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Just found this on RC Universe and thought it made sense....    the post was from America....   AMA has specific guidelines for distance from pits to spectator area, flight stations. etc. Look around on their website. As for runway, if you can set it up parallel to the prevailing winds in your area, it will cut down on crosswind takeoffs and landings. Your surface can be whatever you have there, grass is best, as thick as you can grow it and short as you can cut it. Dirt is much less favorable, during dry times it gets dusty and propwash will have the dust in your carb and stuck to the plane by the glow exhaust. If all you're flying is electric, then not as big a deal.

August 24, 2015 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Sorry .... the above message was only meant to convey the idea of setting up the runway parallel to the prevailing wind...the rest of the message was incidental ...   i just copied and pasted the whole thing    :)

August 26, 2015 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Drove out with the kids after school and had a look where the fire has been (when the wifes away, the husband can go play!). GBAR was right... It looks big now!

We may need to spend some $$ on a track surface. Currently it isn't real flash for front wheel drive vans that wives usually drive... almost needed to unload 3 kids so they could push! And that was just the top track where we were parked on Sunday!

--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

But that's where it ends!! THINGS THAT FLY NEED REAL ENGINES!!!   :D

August 27, 2015 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

Hi guys sorry I wasn't around for all the fun. So I’m not sure what was decided for the runway but I'd like to put in my 2cents worth. I think that for those of us who may progress further in our hobby and for those who may come to our field for events such as turbine flyers or War bird events we must make sure the strip is an adequate length, The Stanthorpe field is now 135 meters now and its still a little short for large scale planes. I think the minimum length would need to be 150 meters and 20 meters wide again should be the minimum. If I ever have the opportunity I would love to get my hands on a turbine model.

This could be us 

--
August 27, 2015 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

This is Straight from the MAAA

I am concerned that if my club promotes a flying event in any way this may bring it under the Display Procedure in MOP019.

It is certainly not the intention that club events advertised in a Club Newsletter, Club Website, a Club, State or Federal Event Calendar, or notices in a model/hobby shop always result in the event being a Flying Display under MAAA MOP019. The words used in the notice of the event are the key element and should be aimed at Club and/or MAAA Members. It is important that these words do not state or imply that members of the public are welcome or that the flying event is to entertain spectators. Whilst some members of the public, who have no connection with anyone in the MAAA, may visit on the day, the Club can reasonably say that they were not invited.

We can read between the lines something like this can provide the club with much needed revenue. So we must take the time to make our strip something that will attract big events.

--
August 27, 2015 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Good on you Mick.

We did agree on the approximate location of the strip and the direction it will be. It will be centrally located but on the Western side with our backs facing the bike club. This means the strip will face roughly North/South (same as we currently are at the Drag Club) with plenty of room for extending the runway. It was mentioned that even the extension to the Stanthorpe strip may not be enough for larger models.

We will be placing the clubhouse/future clubhouse as close to the boundary fence as possible (only far enough away for driving behind) so that the pilots box can be only just 30 metres from the pit area. Any further away and the strip may need considerable levelling and it will begin to be on a slight hill leaning towards the pilots box. 

It wasn't clear on the day, as we were still trying to look over and through the windrows. A walk and talk now would make it much easier as it is completely clear of any obstructions.

The dozer driver was going to have a look and give us a quote to put in a dam. It will cost $2000 to have a town water connection, plus annual connection fees I presume, plus the actual water that we use. It would be very easy to pay in excess of $2000 each year to irrigate the field. The other choice is to dig a bore and put in a tank. The element of risk here is that we won't know how much water we can pump out each day from a bore.

August 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Hi everyone ... now that the field is clear and we can see the lay of the land clearly,would it be possible for us to have a  "Special Meeting " so that we all have a chance to do some brain storming before the "BIG Decisions" are made ... i realise this can be a bit of a dogs breakfast as we are all experts, but still some valid common sense ideas may come out of it ..perhaps even saving some money we can use for something else, and at the same time we the members will feel democracy is alive and well... not necessarily a vote or anything like that, as we have a committee that has done a fine job aquiring this field for us and i am sure will continue to a good job.  I know there is time pressure here due to spring looming ect ....   if we could meet at the field on Sunday or some time very soon ,it  would give no cause for any behind the scenes rumbling and grumbling...     :)

August 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

I'am okay for Sunday, what time? 8)

August 28, 2015 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator
I just saw the two aerial photo's of the new field..... WOW it looks huge. Well done to everyone involved, I wish I was there to help out.
September 3, 2015 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

137 views - 0 comments
492 views - 1 comment
1015 views - 2 comments
1795 views - 0 comments