Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > New Airfield

Wildcat
Limited Member

Cel at August 27, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Drove out with the kids after school and had a look where the fire has been (when the wifes away, the husband can go play!). GBAR was right... It looks big now!

We may need to spend some $$ on a track surface. Currently it isn't real flash for front wheel drive vans that wives usually drive... almost needed to unload 3 kids so they could push! And that was just the top track where we were parked on Sunday!

Celwin the wife is no longer "away" as you like to call it so what will probably happen now is NO MORE PLAY!!!! Yes, I love being able to say that...."No more play"...."No more play".... Just incase you haven't noticed or recieved the memo we are about to have another baby and in the tradition of all wifely things I demand that you take 6 maybe 8 weeks off "playing" after this baby is born....

Secondly I demand that you let me fly something nicer and faster than my trainer...It's getting boring and I think you are just afraid that I might bet you to those gold wings....Yes, I can see it in the newsletter now "Wildcat - Gold Wing Holder" and superior flyer...Well okay maybe I'm not going to show you up but maybe I could have one of your planes...I like the Seafire!? 

While we are having this chat, the only way I can get your attention or a reply via message....(someone checks this site a lot). I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow! 

--

September 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

The field is cleared & pegged out ready for the council grader to come in & level, the grader will arrive roughly in 2 weeks time. If members feel the need to make alterations, now is the time too do so, once the grader starts thats it, we get 1 grant a year from council ,we don't want to waste it. Once the field is levelled & if we still have grader time up our sleeve, we hope to grade the road into the club area. Members inputs would be appreciated. :|

September 13, 2015 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Take a look at this video ..has an idea for quick establishment of a strip    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh4ZuP3aMIA

September 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Some Geo-Fabric for sale on Gumtree    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/capalaba/heavy-farming-agriculture-equipment/geo-fabric-material-rolls/1088909497      i looked on images for  rc airfields and some are made of this material     :)

September 13, 2015 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

There are certain problems associated with Geo-fabric, after seeing how Wagga-Wagga airstrip was constructed using conveyor belt laid over a bed of compacted sand after a while with foot traffic, it got very bumpy. The Geo-fabric has only around 2-3 years life span before it starts to break down & if some one drives over it, you have to pull it up to re-compact it. The other hassle I looked at was how do you join it together so the seams don't stuff the landing gear?

September 13, 2015 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

There is a very comprehensive description on the do's and dont's (with accompanying pictures )on how to build a Geo Textile airstrip on this site      http://www.laaeromodelers.org/laaero_geotex/laaero_geotex_runway_v14.html         :)

September 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

I just typed "build geotex rc airstrip"    into Google Images   and came up with quite a number of different fabric airstrips....   some of them are on beautiful grassy fields that appear to be adequate for the job without the matting ?   This link has heaps of info as well  on one type of matting only    http://www.laaeromodelers.org/laaero_geotex/laaero_geotex_runway_v14.html   ; Cheers Ken     :)

September 14, 2015 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

There lies the problem, you have to build a really good base to put the matting on, why not leave the grass as it is & save the money on purchasing the matting( which has a limited life span) & concentrate on a really good airfield. 

September 15, 2015 at 4:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

They are simply examples Greg ,not all of them are on grass some have been installed on fields  similar to ours to get them  up and running  in a short time for a minimum of cost . The link i gave in the above post says they have gotten 6 years life out of their field and it has had a hard life with people spinning wheels and generally playing up on their quad bikes.  Some of the pictures actually  show the wheel marks on the matting caused by the quad bikes....   another interesting thing on that particular site is that they have taken pictures from the time it was built till the time it was no longer serviceable ,showing the gradual deterioration of the strip over it's 6 year life span.  When you mention leaving the grass as it is .. to me  ..there lies the problem.... just how long is it going to take to get a grass field up and running as i counted 30 Kangaroos on the new field the other day and just as many this afternoon feeding on the nice green shoots that have grown just since the fire... has anyone any ideas on how to deter these animals for a period long enough to get the grass growing to a point where we can actually mow it and use it to fly from.  Also the money spent on seed ,fertiliser, and the amount of work put in to keep it watered and healthy could easily be lost . We have to have the soil structure , the weather , the water and the Wallabies all on our side  ...    Cheers Ken   :)

September 15, 2015 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Sorry Ken but I'am totally against putting weed matting down as a quick fix runway, it becomes un-evan & bumpy and you have to join it together to get the width. Do the job right in the first place and we will have a first class runway not a pile of weed matting.

September 15, 2015 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

The grass will be a pain to get established as it cannot dry out at all till it gets its roots down properly. In summer that may mean twice a day watering. The big up side is once its established through winter there will be no or very little maintenance. Even through drought it will hold the surface together and again there will be no mowing. There will be a lot of work to get it there but its a very forgiving surface. My p40 has been plagued with landing gear issues and they have collapsed several times at Stanthorpe with no damage and our grass is poor quality. But the big problem we face is that there is no point even planting it unless we have a good supply of water first. Concrete and bitumen would be great also but not very forgiving upside no maintenance at all but unless we find a rich benefactor that want be happening

--
Don't forget to have fun :D
September 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

I agree , a grass strip would be the ideal.... still just wondering why they put this matting down when they already have a grassy field?      I know i am sounding a bit like a broken record but, HOW are we going to stop those kangaroos from eating our lovely newly planted tasty shoots ?  :)

September 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DANDO

G'Day  With all the discussion about the grass and matting strip and maintence I think its about time we had conversation about  a bitumen strip DAndo  

September 15, 2015 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DANDO

G'Day the fence discussion seems to have stalled I would like to kick it off and donate 10 star posts, come on who will match me ? we also need wire DAndo

September 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DANDO

G'Day me again who is the co-ordinator for the fencing team? come on lets have some movement lets get to work  DAndo

September 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wildcat
Limited Member

Have a chat to Greg, DAndo. He's coordinating it. We won't be building the fence until the bike club finish burning off, which should be later this month.

He can also fill you in with the rough quote we received for a bitumen strip... better sit down before he tells you...

Celwin.

--

September 15, 2015 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Hi Dando, still waiting for the bike club to burn their side of the fence otherwise our new fence will get burnt. If we put bitumen down we need to remove the clay base & replace it with roadbase to stop movement approx price $35-$40'000 all up. We still need to put a layer of sand down for the base for the grass or weed matting on airfield, so why not continue with the grass. The weed matting needs to be 125mtrsx15mtrs which would cost around $2000 by the time it is installed & would last 2-3 years if we are lucky. We have 4" underground mains at the end of the runway which could allow us to water the airtstrip if need be (recyced water could be on the way). Nick is still constructing the front gateway & we will have it installed sometime soon. Finnished burning most of the heaps pushed up by the tractor & stick rack, council grader will be there next week I hope to level airfield & roads? The problems with the roos will be on-going, if we put up a barrier fence around the airfield to stop the roos scratching up the matting like they have to at the Wagga airstrip, we will probably need to do the same for grass airstrip and every time some-one wants to fly pull it down. We could spend the money & put up a decent roo proof boundary fence??

September 15, 2015 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

On the issue of Skippy movement sensor sprinklers are use to deter animals.

--
Don't forget to have fun :D
September 15, 2015 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

I like the one's that use lead instead of water. :)

September 16, 2015 at 2:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Yeah Mick looks good...just had a look on Ebay  ...$74.00 each, maybe some cheaper versions available  ... would save people going down to water so often as well,..   approximately how many would we need?    :)  Thanks Greg for the tractor work ,stick picking ect.     :)           

September 16, 2015 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, Jun 28 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Sunday, Jul 2 at 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Wednesday, Jul 5 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Monday, Jul 10 at 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

News

by Peter T | 1 comment
by Tony D | 0 comments
by Peter T | 0 comments

Recent Videos