Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lets chat about RC

Peter T

Peter Earl.  Thanks for that. it would get me going alright. 

May 29, 2011 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

If anyone is interested in the Watt meter and Battery Medic device that I bought from hobbyking you can get them from the below links.'

Watt Meter & Power Analyzer /Watts up (Ver. 2)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=6380

Battery Medic System 6S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10328

June 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Hi Pete, when i took a good look at the at the video i took from the Radian , not really worth putting on the site ,  they will need to be taken in a more steady and purposeful way. Anyway at least i know the camera setup  works, so maybe next time. Cheers Ken:)

June 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

kennyglide at June 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Hi Pete, when i took a good look at the at the video i took from the Radian , not really worth putting on the site ,  they will need to be taken in a more steady and purposeful way. Anyway at least i know the camera setup  works, so maybe next time. Cheers Ken:)

No worries Ken,

Sounds like a plan for a nice day.

Regards

Pete

June 4, 2011 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

Technical Info wanted.  from talks with members I am now after a decent transmitter,(r/c). It must be able to handle 5-6 planes, be able to plug into computer for night time fun, in mode 1, and hopefully last me out. any diferences between 5 chanel to 8-9 etc??? should I go 8 or what?? What's a decent one to get, (not necessarily the dearest or the best one). I don't ever envisage getting into choppers.  Any Ideas??    thanks PT 

June 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

Peter T at June 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Technical Info wanted.  from talks with members I am now after a decent transmitter,(r/c). It must be able to handle 5-6 planes, be able to plug into computer for night time fun, in mode 1, and hopefully last me out. any diferences between 5 chanel to 8-9 etc??? should I go 8 or what?? What's a decent one to get, (not necessarily the dearest or the best one). I don't ever envisage getting into choppers.  Any Ideas??    thanks PT 

The minimum transmitter out there that would have the capability of handling 6 planes in memory as well as computer compatibility would be the Spectrum DX6.

The biggest question here is "Lasting you out". Its hard to know how far you will go in the hobby because once you get into it you can quickly out grow a radio depending on how many channels your aircraft requires.

If you get into Warbirds for instance with retractable wheels, smoke, lights...etc...etc then you will need a 8 to 9 channel radio to control everything. 

I started out with a 5 channel then went to a DX6 and now a DX7. and already my current plane has used up all 7 channels. Now I'm thinking I should have got a 8 or 9 channel transmitter. My advice would be to get a minimum of 8 channels but preferably 9 channels. Then your radio will definitely "last you out".

Three of the guys in the club just bought Hitec Aurora 9 2.4ghz digital radios including receivers for around $400.00. They are an excellent radio and will do everything  you need plus a heap more.

Hitec Aurora 9 2.4ghz

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Radio-Transmitters/Hitec-Aurora-9-2-4GHz-w/9ch-Optima-Receiver/prod_767.html

The only other two choices for me would be JR or Spectrum. Spectrum don't make a 9 channel at this stage and JR transmitters and receivers are compatible with Spectrum gear so you can have a mixture of both and they will still talk to each other.

JR DSX9

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Radio-Transmitters/JR-DSX9-Limited-Edition-M1-w/-RD921-Receiver/prod_726.html

Spectrum DX8

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Radio-Transmitters/Spektrum-DX8-Transmitter-w/AR8000-Receiver-and-Telemetry-Module/prod_764.html

If it were me it would be between the JR and the Hitec

Good luck

June 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cory Lester
Limited Member

Radios are like shoes you will grow out of them quickly. As I am a die hard Futaba man I would recomend a Futaba 10CAG. They are compatible with the Great planes Easyflight simulater which is quality software and they are a great radio. It has more features than you will know what to do with.

June 19, 2011 at 4:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

The "Easyflight" or Realflight that Cory recommended is a great simulator but the only problem is you have to pay for updates and add-ons which can get expensive if you want to keep it up to date. I think one of the best and reasonable priced simulators is the Phoenex R/C. Any and all updates are free for life. I used to use Realflite and loved it but the cost of add-ons and updates was a rip off so I changed to Phoenex and Its just as good. 

Below are the supported transmitter for Phoenix

All JR MC/MX (no adaptor required) ‐ ** MC‐series requires "DSC Interface" Accessory **

•Spektrum DX6 / DX6i / DX7 / DSX9 (no adaptor required) ‐ ** NOT new DX7 Special Edition "SE" version **

•Spektrum DX5e older‐style with SIDE training port ("DX5e adaptor" required)

•Spektrum DX5e new‐style with REAR training port (no adaptor required)

•All Futaba ("Futaba/Hitec round" or "Futaba square" adaptor required)

•Futaba FX‐18 with 2.5mm stereo training port ("Futaba FX‐18" adaptor required)

•Hitec Aurora (no adaptor required)

•All Hitec except "Aurora" ("Futaba/Hitec adaptor" required ‐ "Aurora" requires no adaptor)

•All Multiplex ("Multiplex" adaptor required)

•All Sanwa RD and RDS series ("Sanwa adaptor" required)

•E‐sky ETB41 2.4 ghz (no adaptor required)

•Other E‐sky ("Mini‐DIN adaptor" required)

•Co‐Pilot ("Mini‐DIN adaptor" required)

•Blade CX, CX‐2, CX‐3, CP, CP+, CP Pro, CP Pro 2 and Blade SR (no adaptor required)

•Parkzone Transmitters with training jack ("DX5e adaptor" required)

•Art‐tech 100B (no adaptor required)

•Art‐tech 100C ("Art‐tech 100C adaptor" required)

•Walkera 2401, 2601 (Using "MINI‐DIN adaptor" supplied with transmitter)

•Walkera 2402, 2602 ("Walkera 2801 adaptor" required)

•Walkera 2801 ("Walkera 2801 adaptor" required)

http://www.modelflight.com.au/products/Phoenix_R_C_Pro_Flight_Simulator_V3_0-8639-45.html

June 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Byrne

Had a great day at TMAC lots of unquie planes/jets/heli's..sadly a 1/5 scale corsair lost its life when the port wing folded at the hinge, full noise into the trees, very sad to see..lots of lge scale ww1 focker's, Tiger moths, a copy of Matt Hall's Red bull #95, try You Tube in a couple of days for all the action, Love the turbine jets, 6  in total.. see you at the field..

June 19, 2011 at 6:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Went down to TMAC on Saturday / really admired  that corsair/ beautifuly built, what a shame she bit the dust. Watched lots of Heli's going through their routines.

June 19, 2011 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

Sounds like it was a good weekend at TMAC. I wish I had gone but today was a perfect day at the field. The conditions could not have been better. I wish you guys were there. Next weekend I would like to see you guys put your planes up.

June 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

To those people who have got the new Aurora 9, where did you get it from, any good?? as I'm looking at one as well.  looking for the cheapest source, as I've found a bit of a price range. Peter T

June 20, 2011 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Geoff Nothdurft
Limited Member

Peter T at June 20, 2011 at 5:04 AM

To those people who have got the new Aurora 9, where did you get it from, any good?? as I'm looking at one as well.  looking for the cheapest source, as I've found a bit of a price range. Peter T

Hi Pete,

Purchased from Wings Over Downs at about $380 i think, was original quoted $400, but as we purchased a lot of gear, 3 x planes, chargers, simulators, batteries etc he took a little off, original quote from Melb was $450, nice bloke to deal with as well, Rob Mercer, shop phone # 4632 3680. My first experience in RC still getting my head around it, but enjoying the ride or should that be flight, hope to experience my first flight tomorrow.

Hope that helps

Geoff

June 20, 2011 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

Pete,

Its worth checking on a price with Wings over the downs like geoff mentioned. I've done a fair bit of checking round and I dont know if your are going to get it any cheeper than the link I already gave you for $419.00 at Wired RC. Just make sure you check what you are getting for your money. Some suppliers are selling the 9 chanel transmitter with a 7 chanel receiver. Wired RC have the 9 chanel receiver with the deal.

I've dealt with them before and there prices are excellent. They are based at The Gap in Brisbane so if you decided to order one let me know and I am happy to pick it up for you to save on freight but you will need to decide quickely if you want it by next week because I'm having a week off next week and wont be comming down to Brisbane till the following. Im here till this Thursday so let me know if you order one.

June 20, 2011 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

Thanks for the offer, I take it you mean your in brissy?? Am real keen on the Aurora 9 with reciever, 4 servos, Phoenix flight simulator, and they (wired R/c) have a red cub J-5 foamy (electric) that looks as if it would do us as a 1st one.  If you have a chance to look , am I correct? or barking up the wrong tree??   Thanks Peter T

June 21, 2011 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

Pete,

I had a look at the J-5 foamy and to be honest I feel that the price is to high for a basic trainer like that. Have a look at these from Hobbyking Australia for a fraction of the price. They will fly just as good and break just the same when you crash them, so save some money if you can.... sorry to be negative but crashing is part of learning and there is no point buying expensive planes at this stage. These kits have the servo's included so all you will need is a battery,reciever and a transmitter. The receiver that comes with the Aurora 9 will be fine if it fits. When you buy your Aurora 9 you wont need to get the kit with the servo's which will save you a heap. Plus the servo's that come with the Aurora 9 are way to big for a small aircraft anyway. So just get the Transmitter and Receiver kit. That's the link I gave you at Wired RC. 

Plane 1

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16721

Plane 2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16527

Battery to fit both planes (I would order a couple)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18572

Charger for the batteries (Rod has one of these and there great)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15042

I'm currently in brisbane till thursday afternoon. So let me know if you want an Aurora 9 picked up.

Regards

Pete

June 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

Hi Pete, thanks for the info, have gone with your sugestions. With a bit of luck I'll catch you next week down at the field.  Peter T

June 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

No worries, I'm on a week off next week so I will be up the club everyday if I can..... yahoo...:)

June 22, 2011 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Earl
Administrator

I came across a really good website with a ton of information I thought I would share. It has everything you ever wanted to know about RC from buying your first plane to learning how to fly.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/

June 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Yeah, this  is a really  good site if you want to understand about battery's & esc. Came across it a few years ago & found it great for checking up on things. If they don't know there are links to check elsewhere.

June 29, 2011 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

137 views - 0 comments
492 views - 1 comment
1015 views - 2 comments
1795 views - 0 comments