Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lets chat about RC

Peter T
Probably the fuel went off, ate a hole in the tank and totally wrecked the balsa frame. ha! ha!
--

August 12, 2016 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide
BONKA BATTERIES ,.N BONKAS Q & As lol :)
August 12, 2016 at 11:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave W
I check out Banggood from time to time for deals they are pretty haphazard but when they come along they are pretty good. At the moment under the search heading of Balsa RC plane kits they have what appears to be a nice Tiger Moth for the builders among us. The price variance is for the full fibreglass cowel or the plastic one. As with all Banggood products postage takes a while. You've got to forget about it and be surprised when it turns up. There is a couple of other kits as well. Might be worth a look. All care no responsibility in sharing this. Cheers
--

August 25, 2016 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Warren
Yes Dave, that one has been in my favourites for a while now. $157 inc postage for a 1.4m biplane kit looks pretty good. Its always good to check the reviews on Banggood. I've had good mileage from them.
--

Warren.

August 26, 2016 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave W
A big thanks Marcel for the help with the Hobbyking Skymaster at Stanthorpe. Made the modifications you suggested and had two good flights at Warwick on Sunday. A quick take off and climbed easily. Both landings were rough but that was lack of talent on my part. Thanks again.
--

September 4, 2016 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Hi , could someone please PM me directions to the new slope soaring site ...Cheers Ken    :)

September 5, 2016 at 9:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Grumpy
I have purchased a second hand Pilatus PC9 balsa and iron on construction 1500 wingspan. I need to get servos for it. What size would be best. I am going to make it electric. It's currently just a bare bones covered frame.
November 21, 2016 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

I  would be looking at standard size servos ....   HI-TECH  HS-485HB ....KARBONITE GEARS......   suits  20 - 60 Class it says on the box...these are the ones i have purchased for my PHOENIX SONIC   in which i will be running an OS55AX .....    the servos i use in the SPADULATOR coreflute plane are HI-TECH    HS322HD ....KARBONITE GEARS ....they came out of the P51 i crashed  and seem to be holding up well  and are a bit  cheaper than the   the 485s      .... i have a HI-TECH LANDING GEAR  SERVO going cheap if anyone needs it .....   :)..

November 21, 2016 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel
I was going to offer you some advice Grumpy, but since you mentioned that you're going to make it eklectic, I've ive removed you from my Christmas card mailing list...
--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

But that's where it ends!! THINGS THAT FLY NEED REAL ENGINES!!!   :D

November 23, 2016 at 3:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

HaHaHa!!!! I have to agree with Cel, go nitro Grumpy, the money required to make it perform well useing Eklectric gear is just not worth it. And no I haven't crossed into the dark side, just got stuck in the grey area. 8)

November 23, 2016 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Grumpy
It's only rated for a 46-55, so that's not hard to duplicate in electric. I already have a 1000 watt motor lined up for it with 60 amp ESC and 5 cell battery. It will be pretty quick at that.
November 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel
Short flight times is usually the result though...
--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

November 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grumpy
I opted for Tower pro mg 9556r metal gear servos. Got them for $6 each on eBay with free postage. I'm going with a 4852 800kv big electric motor. 1000w on 4s lipo and I'm going with 5s 4500 amp lipo and 11x8.5 three blade prop so it should produce around 1200 watts and hopefully give between 5 and 8 minutes fly time.
November 24, 2016 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Wow,  going all out there Grumpy  ...  should be quick   . ... but you do have  some competion ...lol     :)

November 25, 2016 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide
Just wondering what screws to use to mount my 55ax...plastic fibre mounting.....would normally put metalthreads right through but the bottom of the mount is tapered...so was thinking of using self tappers.... dont want to go to the trouble of getting do bro hex heads if i can get away with it..... also anyone know if loctite blue thread lock is compatable with plastic fibre mounts? ..any ideas greatfully accepted..... :)
December 15, 2016 at 3:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Dubro allen-headed self tappers are awesome, as they can easily be removed without removing the muffler (so long as you have ball-headed allen keys). If that's out of the question, I'd still go with bolts (or are they technically screws?) and nuts. Just Dremmel the bottom of the mount flat so that the washers and nuts have a flat surface to pull into. That's what I do nearly all of the time with my engines, especially the larger ones such as yours. Take your time with the Dremmel and you'll get a good result Kennyglide.

Loctite won't work, as it bonds because of a chemical reaction between the two metals. You will probably get some crystallising (not sure of the spelling) on the bolt/screw, but not enough to hold it like you want it to.

--

December 15, 2016 at 5:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

I use a spring washer/ flat washer with a nylon locking nut and haven't any problems yet. only problem is that you use them once and if you undo them, you are better throwing them in the bin as they won't hold as well. Their is a loctite you can use but you will need a lot of heat to undo the nut. ask Steve Todd about the various Loctites on the market as he use's them in metal work.

December 15, 2016 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide

Thanks guys, was a bit iffy about grinding a flat on the bottom of the mount but i guess the area is very small so i'll do it that way now i know other people do it .....and also i can tighten the bolt from the bottom without having to worry about the muffler ect........  just thinking about it  there may be  a greater loss of structural integrity to the mount  taking into account the outward pressure from forcing a self tapper  to cut its own thread into the glass nylon material....    :) 

December 15, 2016 at 7:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave W
Ever wondered what a magic maker a merchants of zip, needle threaders, sky painters, circle dancers and ace makers are. Check the link. https://youtu.be/vJ0OChpLtbg
--

December 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grumpy

Dave W at December 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Ever wondered what a magic maker a merchants of zip, needle threaders, sky painters, circle dancers and ace makers are. Check the link. https://youtu.be/vJ0OChpLtbg

Wow. That takes me back. Especially Ace makers, that's my favourite. Never even knew they made a programme about control line flying. Sure takes me back to the days of real model flying. Thanks Dave.
December 24, 2016 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, Aug 23 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Sunday, Aug 27 at 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Wednesday, Aug 30 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Thursday, Aug 31 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Recent Videos

94 views - 0 comments
437 views - 1 comment
960 views - 2 comments
1717 views - 0 comments