Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lets chat about RC

Cel
I have many 11 x 7's and a 12 x 8, but that's it. You're welcome to try them.
--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

But that's where it ends!! THINGS THAT FLY NEED REAL ENGINES!!!   :D

June 10, 2017 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide
Can ya save half a dozen for me? lol.... :)
June 11, 2017 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

A new Spektrum 8 channel RX w/sat & Telemetry retails for $120, it is suppose to be a long range RX but their is no mention on distance. It has failsafe built in but as it is a DSMX version it doesnt have brownout indication system included, ie: if you lose contact with the RX, lights on the RX would indicate loss of RF. The new range of Orange RX's put out by Hobbyking for example R820X V2 retails for A$30 & has Telemetry, doesnt come with Sat but has 2 ports for Sats. Has a range of 2klms or line of sight, written. Has failsafe & brown out indication lights. Spoke with a friend in NZ recently and he & his club members have swapped over to these newer versions of Orange RX's & swears by them. Have'nt had any problems with them and they use them in large expensive models. Maybe it's a wait & see!!! 

June 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Seems wrong to trust many hundreds of $'s to something worth $30. But it would be very disappointing to pay $120 and lose the ability to see the breaks in transmission counted. I guess they're not printing a range in case someone holds them to it when it doesn't make the range. In the modelling world, I guess it doesn't matter too much, but if it went out of range and caused $100000 worth of damage, the lawyers would be knocking on Spektrum's door...

The Orange RX's don't have a good reputation at our club, but they're old technology now.

--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

June 13, 2017 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

You are right about the old technology Cel, this new range of Orange RX's seem to be alright but I would like to see more proof that they are stable. If you put them into a plane that was worth only $150 and it crashed into pieces, then you have only lost a $30 RX compared to a $120 RX. These new ones have fail safe, better than the old ones. You can turn Telemetry on or off if you wish and being able to attach 2 sat's which gives you 6 antennas for better RF reception, its gotta help. Time will tell!!

June 13, 2017 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

In reply to a members text message this arvo, I do have friends in NZ and they are not sheep!!!!

June 13, 2017 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

The Bladder Cup is on this weekend... How are you eklectic-powered glider-guiders going to install a de-icing mechanism on the wings of your models? Me, being a pilot of a model with a REAL ENGINE, are going to use silicone tubing to deflect the exhaust onto the wings of my model. While flying around in a relaxed manner, the fine mist of synthetic oil combined with the hot exhaust will be safely and efficiently puffing over the wings, preventing a build-up of ice, while your eklectic-powered foamies will be plummeting to earth, weighing close to 10 kilos by the time they become smoldering holes in Greg's paddock. 

See you all on Sunday! I'm very excited to be able to witness smoking holes in the ground!

--

June 13, 2017 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Sorry to disappoint you Cel but I have inserted fine copper wires into the wings to form a heating coil, with a 3s battery hooked up to supply power. First test applied too much heat and ended up with marshmellow wings, second test turned heat down and got it right. Mind you it's not really a glider now BUT A HOT LINER!!!! See you on the battlefield. :D

June 14, 2017 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jason heard

WWhat's this bladder cup u guys are talking about 

--

June 14, 2017 at 4:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Hi Jason, the Bladder cup is a contest, it comes in 2 stages, 1st stage is based on the pilots ability to remain in the air for 1hr with min time out for refuelling or change of batteries to get the longest time in the air, 2nd stage is the same as the 1st but for a duration of 2hrs, hence the need for a good bladder. Cheers 8)

June 14, 2017 at 4:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Yes. And it is always to be won by models using some sort of REAL ENGINE!! Or perhaps a pure glider!?

--

June 14, 2017 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

You guys are lucky those glider guys from the other week arent here, their carbon fibre $4000 plus gliders would beat you all. even you Marcel!!!!!

--

June 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kennyglide
Hey Pete those glider only stayed in the air for about 15 min and then just seemed to fall out of the sky....they wouldn't have a chance in the Bladder.... (:
June 15, 2017 at 6:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but due to the timetable on Sunday & the invited guests having a fly, we won't have enough time for a Bladder cup. If we can get the powers to be to pencil in another date fairly soon. :(

June 15, 2017 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

I sugest u get knew glasses Kennyglide. those gliders will stay up 4 hours at a time. they only had 15 min classes b4. And yes, if they want them down, then down they come. not like us, 3 passes b4 we can slow them down enough to land. Ha! Ha!.

--

June 15, 2017 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

I think you're right Kennyglide. I think it's because they're so expensive, they are too stressed while flying them worried that the receiver battery will go flat, so they land after 10 minutes or so. No one has ever tried flying for longer for fear of it turning into the worlds most expensive free-flight model. lol.

I didn't see the Bladder Cup mentioned in the program, so figured it was scratched. I have been preparing just in case, but I completly understand for the need to cater for our visitors coming from afar. 

--

June 15, 2017 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave W
At this stage Sundays looking alright for an impromptu afternoon fly say 2pm till close.
June 23, 2017 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

Hi guys just want to let everyone know that Sunday 2nd is a Stanthorpe fly day. I have spoken to Rob from SQAM and he is happy to come up here to do my gold wing test and I believe there are others going to do the same. I was out flying this morning and making the best of a beautiful day I also invited a possible future member. While I was flying I also got noticed by two other guys one of which has a couple of planes and really wants to learn how to fly. I have invited them all next week so I hope some of you make the journey up here to further fuel thier enthusiasum and also to thank Rob for helping us out.

--
Don't forget to have fun :D
June 24, 2017 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grumpy
I'm coming down Mick. Probably won't be flying but I'll be there fur support.
June 25, 2017 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, Jun 28 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Sunday, Jul 2 at 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Wednesday, Jul 5 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Monday, Jul 10 at 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

News

by Peter T | 1 comment
by Tony D | 0 comments
by Peter T | 0 comments

Recent Videos