Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Club Plane

GBAR

I think I have found out what the low wing balsa plane is: a Scotish Aviation Bulldog??

August 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

I'm thinking of taking the club plane for a run tomorrow, if it's not blowing a gale. Catherine's working, so while the cat's away...

--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

But that's where it ends!! THINGS THAT FLY NEED REAL ENGINES!!!   :D

October 10, 2013 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Professor Reilly

I'm inclined to agree with Nick, Balsa planes for beginners with the chinese recievers etc, are a bad idea. Now if that was a bixler????? it may still be going!!!!

October 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

With what occurred to the Boomerang, I doubt anything would have survived. Full throttle is full throttle and you have all seen foam aircraft after they have hit the ground vertically at full throttle. 

What the club needs is an aircraft that can be seen at greater distances (large) and can be run almost constantly for 2 or more hours. The Boomerang would be durable enough for the sort of treatment that is expected. Vertical full throttle landings are not expected... of any aircraft. A Bixler would be good for solo practise at landings, but they don't have the wing loading to practise everything necessary for moving on to bigger and better models. 

I'm not sure if a member of the public would become enthused enough to join and fly just from flying a model that is worth less than $70.00 when the cost of membership when they first join is $224.00

There's more to consider than just the initial cost (and replacement unfortunately).

October 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

I've found out why the OrangeRX T-Six transmitters take 8 seconds to link up again after they have been switched off.

Every time they are switched on, they automatically go through the binding process, as they don't have a bind button on the transmitter. They aparently do this at full power. While it's going through this, it's waiting for the receiver to send back packets of information that it has sent out to the receiver, so that it can confirm that they are all talking the same language and can in fact bind to each other. Because they do this at full power, they apparently can bind with a receiver that is several hundred yards away (american experiences here) when someone has plugged the bind plug into their receiver but not yet pressed the bind button on the (Spektrum?) transmitter. It takes 4 seconds before it leaves this function and starts the normal start-up proceduce.

The people who discovered this and are talking about it, are now saying that they are never going to use these transmitters on busy days or at fly-ins due to this possibility.

--

I love Eklectric powered things... my phone, my cordless drill, my toaster, my shaver...

December 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

oh well, looks like they could be used for a training TX then.

--

December 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

yep, looks like training purpose's only, which means other members who have them also might have to be restricted in their use mainly because they could bind to a spectrum in midair & cause a serious crash, I wonder why MAAA have'nt put out a warning on the use of these TX,s. 

December 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

Been thinking about the prospect of someone binding other people's planes while flying would be 1 in million, due to the fact you don't turn your TX off while flying even if the RX loose's it signal momentary and no one leaves their bind plug in their RX's. When you bind your TX to the RX it binds to its modulation of the RX first & if someone comes up next to you and binds their orange or spectrum RX then they deserve what happens to them. The process does require a bind plug in the RX for any cross binding. You could say some flying a plane useing spectrum gear and leaving a bind plug in and someone else turning their spectrum on in the pits( and holding the bind button on) would have the same results. The orange TX are fine just don't use orange 615 RX's. Only use RX's with saterlite's or spectrum RX's. The buddy plugs on the back need further research but apart from that for a low priced TX. If you turn off any 2.4g while flying it's like pulling out the power cord on your computer, it takes time to reboot up.  

December 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

Well you know how to fix that don't you? Set it up on purpose one sunday and see what happens. If a few of us did this we could see if it would actually happen,

--

December 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

GBAR's right about the chances of binding to another accidentally. It can only happen when the bind plug is in. Once the process is complete and they are talking to each other, no other transmitter can cut in.

What people are saying on specific forums is that at a busy field (I presume 30+ pilots), somone might be binding their plane to their transmitter using OrangeRX gear. As the process for this gear is to switch the receiver on first with bind plug in place, before powering up the transmitter, another OrangeRX transmitter might get in first. This can only occur if the phantom transmitter has only just been switched on, due to the transmitter emitting it's binding code for the first 4 seconds before moving to normal transmission. 

From what I've read, I take it that it's impossible for any receiver to bind to something else mid-flight. Like GBAR said, no-one leaves their bind plug attached... Once any receiver & transmitter are bound, they don't forget who they should be talking/listening to. Some people on-line are claiming that receivers have lost their bind with a transmitter for no reason, but I don't know anyone in person who has experienced that. Some Spektrum users have had drama's, but usually because of Spektrum's ability to only allow the receiver to listen to the transmitter when the correct model is selected from the memory first. This is a safety protocol they have to prevent you taking off with the wrong model memory in place (I've seen this happen more than once using 36meg gear - almost done it myself!). This means you can't fly all your planes at the same time with a Spektrum, but could with any other brand. 

I'll give anyone who fly's with a Hitec or other brand $10 if they can manage to get all their fleet in the air at the same time!;)

As far as I know, OrangeRX and a few toy-shop cheapies are the only transmitters that don't have a bind button on them. I think that's what people are really worried about.

I tried Kennyglide's Spektrum transmitter and receiver (can't remember if it was a Spektrum or OrangeRX - Spektrum I think) and switched the transmitter off while the receiver was still operating. It took less than 2 seconds to re-acquire an operating signal.

There's a big difference between 2 flying seconds and 8 flying seconds if a pilot was to accidentally switch off an OrangeRX transmitter while trimming the model...

--

December 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

That is another issue that has to addressed, the on-off switch & trim switchs are too close together for comfort, Hi-tech have the same issue which I saw on a forum recently someone made a cover switch for a Hi-Tech which might be adapatable. 

December 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter T

thats correct Gbar, I have a cover on the Aurora for that purpose. The same thing could be done for the DX's but they aren't as close as the Hitec's. the DX switch goes sideways, not vertical as on the Aurora.

--

December 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

I've just finished re-charging the receiver/ignition battery on the Boomerang 60. The cell balance was a bit out when I started the charge process, but didn't think anything of it. When it finished charging,

I saw it took just over 2100mAh to charge it. The battery is a 2300mAh LiFe battery. That's dangerously low. Another 10 minutes may have exhausted it completely...

I think we're going to have to use two seperate batteries instead of the one for both servos and ignition... I don't know how many mAh's the ignition uses each hour...

I don't know how long it was in the air for today, but it ran out of fuel in the end. I've had it in the air for around 50 minutes flying students before, which didn't empty the tank.

--

November 22, 2015 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

It was in the air for at least 1.1/2-2hrs Marcel, I think you refueled it once, so thats pretty good going for the Life battery. But to err on the side of caution another battery for the servos wouldn't go astray. You solved a dilemma I have been having, the Lanceair has 7 standard servos to operate + electronic ignition system for 20cc gas motor, 1 or 2 life batteries?maybe another battery is the answer.

November 22, 2015 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mick

I've found the servos and reciever use very little battery all of my planes have 1.5 or 1.7 2 cell lipos and after a couple of flights they will be lucky to use 5% battery. The mustage has the DLE 20 and all digital servos with one 2100mah life probably uses 20% in a flight. So you wouldnt want a very big reciever battery or the amount of charge and discharege probably want let the battery cycle enough.

--
Don't forget to have fun :D
November 22, 2015 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

When it came back to the pits that time, I didn't refuel it. Just checked the battery charge level.

--

November 23, 2015 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

GBAR

oops my mistake!! maybe its one of those planes that get 4.2ltrs per 100k per tank. :P

November 23, 2015 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cel

Maybe... Current problem to overcome is that a full battery isn't lasting as long as a full tank of fuel!

Kind of like a cheap chainsaw whose bar-oil tank runs dry before the fuel tank... disaster awaiting! Only much worse for our model...

--

November 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, Jun 28 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Sunday, Jul 2 at 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Wednesday, Jul 5 at 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Monday, Jul 10 at 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

News

by Peter T | 1 comment
by Tony D | 0 comments
by Peter T | 0 comments