WAM Forum
"SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - Printable Version

+- WAM Forum (https://www.wamqld.com/forum)
+-- Forum: WAM General Discussions (https://www.wamqld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Building & Constructing Model Aircraft (https://www.wamqld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design (/showthread.php?tid=10)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - gbar7217 - 01-10-2019

Bought the 2 46 max FXs off Dennis's friend the other day, 1 for the club's Cessna skylane that's being rebuilt after minor prang. The other for another project, like corflute scanner!!

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - Celwin - 01-10-2019

I'm too scared to buy a FX. My very flying experience was with my brand new 46FX. I was using castor (I was told it was the only thing that mixed with methanol) and methanol. Ran it in as per the instructions and it flew for many tanks. It started to get tricky to start and wouldn't idle. Pulled it apart and found the chrome had flaked off the cylinder. Borrowed a mate's engine (he bought exactly the same gear as I did at the same time) and ran it in according to the instructions. Same thing happened. In hindsight, I should have taken them back to the shop, but was too naive to push for it and had doubts about my tuning. Sounds like they all did it, as aftermarket pistons and cylinders were available for them back then. Bought a liner & piston for $185 (new engines were $165ish) and it was a rocket! Lighter and more power than the original!

Apparently it was only the first batch that had this problem, as the design was brand new at the time and OS had a perfect reputation but they were beginning to cut corners. They had that reputation dented again when they released the LA series of engines...
If they're well used and compression is still good, it's unlikely to be a problem Gbar, but I wouldn't buy one off RC Trader. Dennis' mate could be trusted.

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - KENNYGLIDE - 01-10-2019

Spadformation update....... Big Mig landings were too fast and and nosing over was a problem .... have moved the landing gear forward and set up flaperons to the (up position) to drop it at the beginning of the strip and hopefully hold it to the ground after I land. Will know if it works tomorrow afternoon.

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - Peter T - 02-10-2019

Well give us an update tonight Ken. Havent unpacked my trailer yet. But am looking at a Bobcat 50 today. Has a 46ax pushing it.

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - KENNYGLIDE - 02-10-2019

MIG7 completed......1500mm wingspan...OS 55 AX.motor..... fuselage and wings 3mm corflute ....tailfeathers and ailerons 5mm corflute..... 3mm ply spars.... 3mm ply for some fuselage formers rest with corflute..... only hot glue used ..all from Bunnings.... flys well ....how long it holds together yet to be seen?

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - Peter T - 02-10-2019

Looks great Ken, although Im surprised it goes with a rubber on the exhaust??

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - KENNYGLIDE - 02-10-2019

Yeah, Peter flew it this arvo...tried the up flaperons, didn't work, it pitched upwards ...I was hoping it would help with the landing....not to be... lost my landing gear. I then got the Sonic out and Dan and I had a bit of a race ...his MIG.7 is actually faster than the Sonic ....I think my tuned pipe might need tuning....

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - Peter T - 04-10-2019

Yea for Ken. Good for u. Maybe u need a bigger motor, although I think u have a 55 in the sonic? U guys r inspiring me, I will do mine, (finish off) when l can get to them, and also the little lecky one. Keep with the up dates.

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - KENNYGLIDE - 04-10-2019

Yeah trying to get the MIG7 to slow down ....I went by the info I found on the  net....it nosed up pretty severely. ...maybe down elevator mix will do the trick?

RE: "SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design - Peter T - 05-10-2019

Hi Ken, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6iC7oa3_YI, Have a look at this then. We have done similar b4, we lowered the ailerons a bit (like flaps) but left some movement for aileron control, and lower the elevator a bit to raise the tail. then the plane slowered down quite a bit. however Reilly had that on a switch as a mix. U would have to ask him if u r having trouble working the mixes out. But if u were flying to fast, the plane just increased in height. Tell the boys, I picked up a (used) scanner the other day, with AX motor for $50. so I have another spare.