Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design
that sounds good 2 me. scale it up 2 take a 40 size. We could c it better. C Marcel. he is always saying how good real motors are, he must have heaps of them??
Made a decision .. during the night... I would like this plane to be attractive to as many club people as possible, so for the first one... the plan that Marcel has kindly glued together and delivered to my door. . . will remain at 45inch wingspan. It will be ...wait for it.....ECKLECTRIC... sorry Marcel., I know it's like kicking sand in a persons face especially after going to to all that trouble with the plans .. but as I haven't got a SLIMER... to fit . ...ECKLECTRIC it will be. ?
MAKING MODELS IS MEDICINE FOR THE MIND  Smile
Right...! That's it...! No Christmas card for Kennyglide this year!!

If we were to scale it up for a 40 or 46 size real engine, that makes it too big for the traitorous types to economically fit ecklectics to. It would need a 4 or 5S 4000 mAh flattery or something and a big low RPV motor (I don't really know, as I wouldn't lower myself to a level to which I would be able to read up on it!). Gear that most members flying toys, don't have in their drawer. The idea is to build something cheap and expendable/easily repairable.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
The build has begun..... Fuse , and tail feather templates done ....out of Depron...ideal ,easy to cut.... Corflute tail feathers already cut out.... hopefully a maiden next Sunday.... If I can work out the dihedral brace section...seems a bit obscure at this point... especially the plywood mid brace spar.and the mid,aft and fwd Dihedral Braces.....4.5 degree s per side....any ideas on this greatfully appreciated.?
How did the bending of the corflute go Kennyglide? You've deleted the post, so we presume you had success?
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Yeah. .. don't tell anyone but the person who was doing the bending lost concentration and had the flutes facing the wrong way by 90degrees ? .. after that all was good... just looking at cutting the spars tonight.... bit of a dilemma...when I lay the spars on the spar line marked on the wings and then put the wings together.....the spars meet at an angle so glueing the dehedral braces could be problematic....so I guess I'll just see what happens when I reach that stage of the build.... ? Huh just read the instructions...they use balsa fillers.?
Heading to Toowoomba tomorrow. Might get some corflute while I'm there. Anyone need some?

I'm still actually considering if it is a suitable material... for putting a REAL ENGINE into... foam isn't. It's only for toys. Toys powered by smokey and environment-polluting coal burning chargers for flatteries.
Black 2.5 is working great for the wings...using 3mm on fuselage... 5mm on rudder.. ailerons. N .. horizontal stab and elevator....saving weight on the fuse as it is supposed to be 4mm but the 5mm on the aforementioned parts is a little heavier than the recommended 4mm.so should even out....the fuse feels plenty strong enough...also using 5mm flute for the formers instead of the ply..will use thin MDF for the firewall as it will only have to hold an electric motor.... Used light
5mm pine for the spars........still a work in progress ... fingers crossed it will fly better than the Delta Wings.? Just thought this info my help Marcel as the recommended 2mm. and 4mm is hard to get,.although can be purchased at a place in Rocklea.
Hi All , update on progress at the meeting RE: SPADs . There are 2 plans for the MIG... one for the smaller wingspan suitable for .25 glow or electric......and a larger one more suited to a .46 glow.... there will be templates available for both early in the new year, so no need for people to go through the tedious process of downloading plans ,scaling them , gluing all the sheets of paper together, and then cutting them out. I am going to do a materials required list in the near future . Some of the Corflute comes in quite large sheets and also smaller ones . We will possibly be able to do some cost cutting by using the larger sheets ...that has to be checked out ..for instance quite a few of the small size wings can be cut out of a single large sheet of the 2.5mm black corflute. There will have to be some research done regarding the minimum size electric motor to power the small Mig.... a.25 glow really hammers so I imagine a smaller electric would be adequate to have a relatively quick plane. Mine has a 3536 Propdrive 1800kv with 2200mah 4s and is fast... probably could be dropped down to 3s .. propped up and and still have plenty of power.Anyhow with the new clubhouse ect ,and plenty of room ,I can only see a good new year of flying ,building and fun ahead .... ... HERE IS A LINK TO A 54" 1380MM WINGSPAN Electric ...must have scaled the original Dave West plan up a bit... scroll down to see specs motor size Ect. Interesting because they have used a FliteTest Style power pod...... for those who don't know, this set up allows the Motor, ESC, Battery and Prop to be easily transferred to another model as a single module, again making this a cheap way to have multiple plane types but only needing ONE MOTOR AND ESC ,PROP,ECT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7-9XTjOs0 IDEAS FOR POWER POD BUILD... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5KFb0sk1Y ........ HAPPY XMAS TO ALL...KEN
Hi, Peter T just dropped the expanded .46 size ?
MIG plans off , I was wondering if Peter or Marcel will be able to supply the templates to the group for this plane , when they get them cut out.? I can supply templates to the group for the original if reguired.