Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design
I just used a scalpel Marcel. worked great, although probably longer that the jig saw.
Yeah looks like the go Marcel...good pics how simple this setup is .have you got all the bits cut out yet?
MAKING MODELS IS MEDICINE FOR THE MIND  Smile
Marcel , just wondering which jigsaw blade you used ?
Almost have all the bits cut out. I've just come in from checking the urethane glue on the firewall and F2. Nasty stuff to use on corflute, as the pieces slip away as soon as you pull the fuselage sides together. Ended up pinning through the fuse into the formers and firewall to hold it while I used tape, rubber bands and clamps to squeeze it into place, one former at a time (over two days...).
I only had one hacksaw blade for my jigsaw, so didn't want to wreck it experimenting, so used an intermediate one to grind the outside edges off. I'm wondering if a hacksaw blade might end up melting its way through if you're going slow around corners.

I've also just finished gluing my cut-out plans onto 3mm MDF to use as future templates. Thought I'd do that before they all go missing... I'd hate to have to glue all those plan pages together again! My upside-down jigsaw is going to have a work-out tomorrow if all goes well.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Templates sound good......are you using ply or corflute or both for the formers ? ....just wondering if it may be easier to tack the formers with hot glue maybe even putting the urethane glue on first if possible ....what is the name of the urethane glue? I think there are jigsaw blades available that are not as broad as the standard ones ..might make it easier to go around corners .
Ply for the firewall, 5mm corflute for F2, not sure after that. I tried 3mm for F2, but it crushed too easily when I applied the necessary force to hold it all together. I thought about using hot glue with urethane over the top, like a fillet. I don't know how strong it would be as just a fillet. I had to buy some fresh urethane glue, as my old stuff had gone off. It works well, but takes ages to set. It needs one porous surface and sets quicker with exposure to moisture. It then foams up and makes its own fillet. If you used it for gluing the trailing edge of the wing together, you'd need clamps all the way along, as when it foams up it pushes everything apart.

I looked at the shorter jigsaw blades, but the ones that I saw had teeth that were too course for my liking (for this task anyway). The one I'm using goes around the corners well enough for now.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
I think they used contact for the trailing edge of the wings in the build videos ....and yes they did clamp them all the way along....I found a very hot glue gun good on the rest of the plane..bearing in mind it is electric .and won't need any hard cranking like a glow motor.....but that's what I will be using on my .46 build .with a few skewers for the extra strenght ..I used a kitchen sample board from bunnings about 4mm thick for the firewall. Looking forward to starting a build on a .46 size..but I will wait to see how yours or Peters goes first.
Ha! Kennyglide. Dont wait 4 me, Im just cutting them out, Im waiting on you to show how its done, and Im doing the smaller one 1st. So Marcel, looks like we all waiting on you to do yours.
Drats... looks like I'm the guinea pig then...

When I turned my back the other day, following gluing my firewall, it decided that the amount of right thrust needed to be increased, so now that the glues set I now have enough for everyone put together, on average... I haven't measured it, but it's way too much. Don't know what I can do about it now though. Polyurethane works really really well!
Sounds good Marcel. I am cutting my (smaller 1) mig out. Some bits there, I dont know what they r 4, but i assume if I read the instructions, it will tell me.