Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design
... Yeah that sounds promising Greg...Wonder if it would be possible to use 2mm or. 2.5 mm ..the white stuff?...used 2.5 black in the small MIG...but it was low quality for protecting floors....lighter corflute would probably require some ribs in the wings .. that would help with the wing profile.as Marcel mentioned.
MAKING MODELS IS MEDICINE FOR THE MIND  Smile
Hey Kennyglide, I'm having trouble downloading the plans for the Debut. DXF files don't help me...
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Jury still out on the Debut Marcel...i doubt.the chord would be wide enough for a .46..size plane. The plane I would like to replicate is the one on YouTube called Yardwaste. I just can't quite pin which one it is on Spad to the Bone. That is what I'm looking at but with wheels. I would like to keep the wingspan down to about 1200mm or I think about 47.4inches..as that would be the convenient width for the corflute ..I have noted the Yardwaste is 48 inches...the Debut is around that mark... But as previously stated the I doubt the chord is wide enough as it is designed for a 25 to 30 motor. I have had no problem downloading the plan.
SPAD Debut

Here is a start with info about the Debut Model

[Image: debut4.jpg]

Plans
https://www.spadtothebone.org/plans.html

Construction
https://www.spadtothebone.org/PDF/Debut.pdf
https://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/Debut/

More Plans
Go to this link to get the full suite of SPAD's offered by SpadToTheBone
https://www.spadtothebone.net/freeplans.htm
https://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/

Here is the Debut Plan converted from DXF to PDF (As per Marcel's request above)

.pdf   debut-plan.pdf (Size: 21.79 KB / Downloads: 473)
Thanks JR.

Our biggest issue is finding 60mm square PVC pipe... It doesn't look like it's available in Australia.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Just make something equivalent to gutter pipe with corflute.. could work
The sourcing of 60mm guttering is not going to happen too soon.
Bunnings and Reece can't help us and I have called a few plastic extrusion suppliers and they can't help us.

As you know - prior to Kenny's recommendation of the Debut, I had been looking at the Spadet.
I was attracted to it because it was described as a trainer.

[Image: spadet_lc-40.jpg]

The plan and construction notes for the Spadet calls for using 2 piece of 65mm square drainpipe, one piece 6" and the other 1".

The nearest thing I have found is a 65mm Dropper Outlet at Bunnings.

Icon Plastics 65mm PVC Gutter Pop Outlet
I/N: 4775813
$3.15

Weight .03kg
[Image: 78744ad8-2bf5-4b83-9821-f4c5962dbf59.jpg]
I went and purchased 2 yesterday and using 5mm Corflute I plan to create a fuselage.
The Debut calls for a 30 inch length of drain pipe for its fuselage.

Here is my dream
I would like the WAM to have a model that fulfills the following ideals

1. That is a basic trainer that a newbie coming to the club can build and learn to fly.
  2. That is low cost.
  3. That suits both i/c or electric power units.
  4. That is rugged and repairable.
  5. Ideal for most weather conditions.
  6. That becomes a standard model/s for every member to build and fly.
  7. A model where pylon, endurance events can use in the program.
  8. A model to obtain or practice with to gain "wings" accreditation.
  9. A model that we can enjoy and challenge flying skills in events at WAM and with other clubs.
  10. We have a lot of fun flying.
  11. Have an annual fly-in day
The dream goes further
  1. We create a kitset version. Have available in stock for all.
    By bulk purchasing and seeking sponsors we all benefit.
  2. On sell kits to other clubs and aeronautical schools like Welcamp.
  3. Create and sell add-on variants to basic aircraft - flight control, fpv, aerial photography!
  4. Have kits as raffle prizes.
  5. Hold major events using this model including formation flying and aerobatics displays.
  6. Develop, using our facilities, an aviation school where building and flying is its goal.
  7. Develop interest groups to use corflute, foam board or depron to create new, scale, or unorthodox flying models.
  8. Have program available to schools/men's sheds/veterans  in Warwick and Shire where aviation is promoted.
Lets get started now!

Without a dream the people will perish!
I am thinking to keep the build simple ...stick to a wingspan of 1200mm which is the width of a 1200x2400 sheet of corflute.... an easy way to build a straight wing...and a plane light enough for electric conversion.
I've found this stuff https://www.stratco.com.au/au/roofing/do...-downpipe/
.Looking at the Corrowot plan for the corflute fuselage..as it is difficult to get pipe that would suit..the Debut...also it gives an opportunity to shape and size to fit the tank ect...will probably have to scale it..but the Corrowot template may be a good place to start...with the fuselage ...will make a dummy first see what it looks like......so in a nutshell it may be a modified Debut /Corrowot mix...John it may be difficult to come up with a model that satisfies the criteria you have stipulated...but can only try. Would be good if some other members could come up with some ideas for a build that may come closer to JRs dream plane.