Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanner Racing
I have to say that I absolutely loved the Scanner Racing yesterday. My heart was pumping so hard, I could feel it in my chest and I'm sure anyone next to me could hear it! I've never been so nervous before a competition and I had to hide my shaking while I was walking back and when I was placing my transmitter down! What a thrill it was.

I'd also have to say what a great job our club did of running our very first competition, ever. After the first practice round, everything was practically faultless. From what I saw, one man really stood out doing his role yesterday, and that was Dan. He showed great leadership as our race starter and we all had no doubt as to what was going on before the race, during and after. He had great communication with all the pilots, callers and the lonely 3 sitting at No. 2 pylon. Awesome job Dan and thank you from all of us.

Can't wait for the next one, although I will have to wait for the next 'local' one I'm afraid.

Also, thanks to the guys from the other clubs for coming along. Certainly wouldn't have been the same without you or your guidance.
Thanks Rod for your advice as my caller. You did an excellent job and it was good to talk with experienced modellers that have been doing this for a while. Thanks guys.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
I have a 20 minute video of the recent scanner racing. 2GB If you want a copy give me a USB with enough memory next time you see me at the field and i will take it home and transfer a copy. If you want another one showing aerial view of field from a Bixler and Greg buddying Jake. 4GB or better. Right of refusal to any old USB of dubious origin covered in lint from 20 year sit in bottom drawer
I thought you were going to upload it to youtube Dave. Any wonder I haven't had the flurry of sponsorship offers I was expecting. I was expecting early retirement by now!
Good on you Dave. I'm in two minds about getting a copy though. I'll sound stupid and look fat. Both of which my wife will use to humiliate me... she doesn't need more ammunition.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Scanner racing dates for the Gold Coast club and SAAMBR have just come out (I haven't seen them yet, so can't post them as yet). We will be choosing some dates very shortly.
Last year, we ran the racing on days where we usually have a BBQ. This worked fine, but prevented our own members from doing some regular flying. We were thinking that this year, we should do what has previously been talked about and that's including a race of sorts for models that aren't Scanners. We couldn't make it a class, as Ken would win all the time because everything he flies is on steroids. Instead, we could use the timing rule that Dave came up with and we used for a bit before Scanner racing came here. The pylons and lights are there, so we'd use the same Scanner course and cut rules and officials, but because speeds won't be the same as each other, it couldn't be 'fastest around the course wins'. The number of laps would be less, as we need to cater for eklectic-powered models which are slower and which might have reduced duration (couldn't resist the dig there!). The reduced laps is really for concentration span reasons, to be honest. Dave's rules were that a base time is done at the start of the day and the pilot's aim is to better that score in each round. Best average improvement wins! (people who are doing a shonky by flying at half throttle for the base time will be penalised, somehow...). This means that a Bixler has the same chance of winning as Ken's steroid-infused Mig. We could run only two at a time if pilots are worried about getting disorientated and their time will start when they pass the start line (no hooter needed) so there's no pressure to nail that start.

This class could also attract members from elsewhere or the Scanner pilots as well, as you don't need anything expensive or fast so there's much less pressure to perform. It might also give our Scanner racers something to fly when they ding their one and only Scanner, if they bring something else.

What do we think guys? Should we lock it in or phone a friend?
All we can do is give it a go Marcel, starting up a separate class will incourage more flyers to have a go at flying around a course. It does make you a better flyer at the end of the day!!
Angel
Don't forget the first Queensland Scanner race for 2020 is on this Sunday. There might be rain, so stay tuned!
We're keeping a close eye on the weather... again...

Sounds like I'm complaining about rain. How about that!?
We'll be making the decision for Sunday this afternoon. I talked with Ross last night and he and Tony are ok with wind in the 20's. Ill talk to Rod this afternoon to see what he thinks.
I looked at Willy's weather for Sunday, gusts are around the 30ks, too windy for pylon racing me thinks!! I'll watch from the sideline.
Angel
Gusts that high will take some fun out if it. I just looked at the forecast graph for today and the last two days to compare their predictions with what it actually was. There seems to be a difference of around 10 kph on average lately.