Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Aeronautics
Brian... why are you comparing real engines with eklectic power? Don't get me started... Tongue

Eklectic-powered models are becoming popular, but can you imagine Ray F. putting an eklectic motor in the nose of his Spitfire? That would be a disgrace indeed!

I'll bring to everyone's attention that the fastest powered model is a jet, reaching 749kph! Ha... beat that you electrons!
(I'll not mention that the record for the fastest RC aircraft is 877kph, which is not powered by anything but gravity and lift from a decent hill! That would be just plain embarrassing for me to admit!)
Click the speed for a link to the youtube clips. Pretty cool!!!
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Marcel....Who`s comparing?? There ain`t no comparison....when you can come up with a piped 60 running on possum p...s (urine) powered tooth brush, we`ll have an argument worthy off discussion!!
Sorry to burst your bubbles.

Brian C.

Hi Ken, have for some time now been contemplating that exact problem. The solution is not a quick one. I consider that a former of some kind is required to maintain the profile. The more I consider the task, the more work is involved. A parallel chord would the best option, I think, for ease of construction. Perhaps some thick foam ribs with numerous carbon fibre spars would suffice, to maintain profile.

Brian C.
A piped 60 powered toothbrush!? That would be awesome... Might make a mess on the sink and mirror though. What happens if the throttle sticks open? Blood, teeth and gums everywhere!

My son's and I have been trying to make corflute chuck-glider wings that are a clark-y type of shape. They end up being too heavy to fly at chucking speeds using 3mm material. The 2.5 is just too flimsy on it's own. We've been using hot-melt glue and that only just gives us enough time to join it. If we were to create wing ribs, the glue would get too cold by the time the extra things are glued. Might have to resort to contact glue, as that's what is supposed to be used. It would work fine then using 2.5 mm, as there would be boxes all along the wing, as Brian pointed out.

Our next attempt will be similar to Michael's thing that has an aluminum U section fuselage, but smaller for a 15 engine. It has a curved upper surface to the wing, but no profile as such. Just a folded under leading edge for strength with a skewer to strengthen the corflute where it joins the fuselage.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Yeah ., just want to run this past the experts....looking to make a simple , light corflute wing ... i.could fold the corflute under for the thick bit...but not sure how to keep the curve in the wing..any input greatfully accepted.... KFM-5A is the one i am looking at.

MAKING MODELS IS MEDICINE FOR THE MIND  Smile
Hi Ken....That particular airfoil is remoniscient of an old " Jadelsky" profile. Those profiles were of bonded shapes, glued together and presumably hand finished. Don`t think that I`ve seen one in the flesh....But it could be constructed in the manner already discussed leaving out, say every third rib and leaving the skin off on the underside, from spar to trailing edge! The trailing edge should be strengthened by perhaps brass tube the diameter, being the thickness of the skin. The COG looks like it should be around 40 to 50% of the chord. That suggests to me that a Lifting Tail Plane would be required to balance the model....A lifting tail plane has a greater span than the usual tail feathers and a lifting section!!......this jadelsky profile is a floater not a fast example.
Ken, you might let me know what your plan is for this model.

Brian C.
Thanks Brian ,i can understand that being a floater ,as a lot of very very early aircraft with fabric wings had a similar wing shape..i have used the KFm-2 on a foamy wing ... it was fast but didnt last long enough for me to get a good handle on how effective the lift was.....Brian please read my other post in the spad section ,regarding the CORROWOT wing alteration.
Ken Pls, see Rc India....Sanjayrai 55....New Build , Corrowot 2014 sweepstakes article 1. This gives wing dimensions, material thickness.... and thickness of the chord. The construction of the wing is as you`ve used before. With spar placement to produce the desired contour. The wing is symmetrical as can be seen from pictures. The aileron is an extension of the lower sheeting. Looking closely, there appears to be a stiffener along the inside of the trailing edge. From the pictures you should have no trouble in construction.

Brian C,
Thanks Brian.. I will have a look... Just thinking about the symmetrical winshape... I imagine it would have more lift if it was asymmetrical... Just thinking....
I can give some measurements from a real Wot 4 wing. They're pretty short, stubby and thick.
Yes Marcel that would be good.. also are the wings symmetrical or asymmetrical... Fuselage length would be good too. Maybe we should be taking a plan off the WOT4.... Marcel do you know if the 50 km limit to be introduced on Saturday ..will now allow us to go out to the airfield and fly?z